Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Steve says.. (Part II)

Apple Confidential 2.0"I'm the only person I know that's lost a quarter of a billion dollars in one year. It's very character-building."

Unknown source
"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected."

Wired Magazine, 1996
"Things don't have to change the world to be important."

PBS documentary "Triumph of the Nerds: The Rise of Accidental Empires,1996
"Picasso had a saying. He said, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal'. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas and I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians and poets and artists and zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

Classic Gaming
"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet."

Unknown source
"I was worth over $1,000,000 when I was 23, and over $10,000,000 when I was 24, and over $100,000,000 when I was 25, and it wasn't that important because I never did it for the money."

All About Steve Jobs
"My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even better."

Forbes, 2008
"We don't get a chance to do that many things, and everyone should be really excellent. Because this is our life. Life is brief, and then you die, you know? And we've all chosen to do this with our lives. So it better be damn good. It better be worth it."

Stanford University commencement address, 2005
"My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes."

Stanford University commencement address, 2005
"Death is the destination we all share; no one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be because death is very likely the single best invention of life."

0 comments: